Differing perspectives on noise pollution - Vietnam and Okinawa

The experience of noise pollution can be different, and the degree to which one is stressed can vary. 


In Vietnam, millions of tourists visit Vietnam every year. They expect tropical peace, but it turns out to be different. 

 "I really love Vietnam but yeah it's true I'm quite hesitant to go back. The food is fantastic, the countryside scenery is beautiful, and the people are generally friendly and open. The traffic, noise and pollution however are hard to endure. Hope things will continue to improve though."

- Seusabah (Tourist from Malaysia)

Foreign tourists have dinner at a restaurant in Hue City in central Vietnam, April 2023. Photo by VnExpress/Vo Thanh



In Okinawa, there is 70.6% of the land in Japan that is exclusive to U.S. military facilities are concentrated. It accounts for only 0.6% of the total land area of Japan. 

According to an U.N. report, Okinawa is subject to 20,000 military takeoffs and landings annually (50 drills/day). Aircraft noises sometimes exceed 120 dBs (subways: around 80 dB, construction sites: 80 -120 dB)

“It is our responsibility to take back the quiet night for the children who live near the base as well as for the younger generation who are the future of Okinawa,” says the head of the plaintiffs. 

- Shusei Arakawa (85, Okinawan)

U.S. military bases in Okinawa (orange, blue)


Whether you are complicit or victim of noise stress, one is certain: we should raise the awareness of noise pollution, which can be physically and psychologically pervasive. 



Ken.

Sources: 

VnExpress International & VnExpress. (2024, January 11). Why tourists don’t come back to Vietnam. VnExpress International – Latest News, Business, Travel and Analysis From Vietnamhttps://e.vnexpress.net/news/readers-views/why-tourists-dont-come-back-to-vietnam-4697255.html

Okinawans file mass lawsuit over U.S. base noise pollution | The Asahi Shimbun Asia & Japan Watch. (n.d.). The Asahi Shimbun. https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14535305

Base-related data | OKINAWA PREFECTURAL GOVERNMENT Washington D.C. Office - Official site. (n.d.). OKINAWA PREFECTURAL GOVERNMENT Washington D.C. Office. https://dc-office.org/basedata





Comments

jodias said…
I suspect that certain cities in Vietnam are much worse than other in respect to noise pollution. I didn't find any of the cities I visited in Vietnam (Da Nang or Hoi An) to be particularly noisy. However, I have heard from people who have traveled to Ho Chi Minh City that it is quite congested, noisy, and full of vehicle traffic. Hopefully, as vehicles continue to electrify, the traffic noises in cities will subside. As electric vehicles still tend to be more expensive, it may take longer for developing countries to get fossil fuel burning vehicles off the roads.
Shimo said…
I realized that the problem of noise is serious and affects people badly for someone after reading the survey. I live in Tokyo now, and in Tokyo probably almost all people are worried or conscious of noise problems, because there are no big noises like military takeoffs and landings in Okinawa. I was surprised that tourists from Malaysia said noise is one of the factors that he or she dislikes about Vietnam. If I live in Okinawa now, I definitely cannot endure the sound of military takeoffs and landings and it obviously leads to bad effects to my body both physically and mentally.
Manu said…
I can see how living near a military base can be stressful. I also hear aircrafts fly near my house and they are loud enough to shake my room. I have lived with it for a long time, and it doesn't continue for too long each day so I don't mind it so much, but it does bother me when a plane is flying above while I'm having an online meeting or trying to take a break.
Shioppy said…
Since I live in Kanto area, I could not imagine how the military makes such big sounds in Okinawa even though I saw a lot of news from younger age repeatedly. However, I visited Okinawa in this April, my view totally changed. I was shocked how military aircrafts make those terrific sounds and hurt my ears. And I ashamed my mind before that Okinawan may be able to endure those noise.
Also reading your blog posts realize me that those sounds I heard when I was in Okinawa are maybe quieter ones compared to the one mentioned in this blog. And I was fortunately didn’t hear any aircraft sounds during my bedtime, but many Okinawans are suffering from that.
I think even if Japanese, people who don’t have any knowledge towards Okinawa has same opinion as me back then. I hope those people will also realize the situation that happens in Okinawa and support people in there.

Popular Posts